We’re Home–With a Vengeance

We got back into town Sunday afternoon.  How was your vacation, you might ask?  Well….Lovely, but stressful.  Beautiful scenery and weather, but no relaxation.  Wonderful beach house, but full of 16 of us.  Quick recap…left Friday morning with Woob and niece in tow.  God bless the inventor of laptops and DVDs.  The trip was loooong, but the kiddos were happy as long as something was playing.  In two days of travel there, about 16 hours in the car, Woob only slept about a half hour.  He was a trooper.  Once there, it only took one day before my brother in law put the smackdown (verbal) on my mom, thus setting the scene for a week of occasional drama, hurt feelings and side comments. Weee!  By day three, evening entertainment consisted of a rousing game of b**r pong by the grown ups after the kiddos had gone to bed.  By day four, my boy was becoming blonder and sporting a little tan.  He loved the sand, loved the water, loved the boogie board, loved the pool, and loved the lack of structure.  And just when we were starting to settle in, it was time to go home.  Woob got carsick before we were 3 minutes down the road, and as soon as we got him and the car cleaned up and on the road again, he got sick again.  We’ll just say the trip home was, er, a little more eventful than the trip over.

But because we’re adventurers, we timed Woob’s first day at the new daycare center for Monday.  You know, while his whole structure and world is upside down, lets throw in a few more challenges, right??  I gotta tell you, again, the Woob is a trooper like no other.  He had done so well with the change and getting back on schedule at home, it is amazing to me.  And it seems like over the past two weeks, somehow he’s older, talking more, more independent.  See, the new care center has expectations, far exceeding those that we have for our 2 year old.  “Family style dining” at lunch, the ability to make decisions about what to do next, learning to dress yourself, even if it means walking around for a while with two legs in one pants hole, weird things like cleaning up your own messes before you make a new one.  Something TOTALLY unheard of here…paint and fingerpaint, just sitting around for when you want to paint a picture on a whim.  Thats the kind of things that happen in the two’s room.  And get this…they’re already working on potty training.  He won’t touch it with a ten foot pole at home.  Every day he’s sat on the potty at least once there, and today’s report said that he sat on the potty this morning and WENT!  Um, he’s been going there for four days–What is going on in that crazy place?  By the time he moves to the three’s room, I’m sure he’ll be ready for his learner’s permit!

Work has been rather crazy as well, with phone calls, phone calls, projects, requests, catching up with what didn’t get done before I left and more short deadlines.  I’ll just add that I manage a staff of four.  Guess how many of them are currently expecting bouncing babies?  3 of the four, that’s how many.  I love them, I’m happy for them, I just don’t understand how infertiles become magnetic somehow with the whole pregnancy thing.  I’m fine with it in the big picture, but just got the news on the most recent one yesterday.  She’s due three weeks after my due date would have been.  Happy for them, sad for me.  I’ve had practice with that.

On the home front, we’ve entered the annual month of family reunions/graduation parties.  At least one per weekend for the next month.  One weekend we have three. Then in August we have a niece’s wedding in which P2R and Woob are both in it.  Its an outside ceremony one state over.  I hope J. doesn’t expect Woob to actually perform all his duties like it plays out in her mind, I just don’t think its realistic.  This weekend a nephew is coming in from CA.  He and his wife, whom we’ve met once, have never met Woob at all, so they’re excited to meet him and play with him.  They’ll be so surprised how be he is!  And handsome!

We haven’t spoken to N. lately.  She and C. both got jobs recently at a nearby factory and work second shift, so its hard for me to know when to call.  I have emailed and asked about a visit soon, but really it has to be totally in their court to deal with their particular schedule.  We’ll be happy to go there, as I know its easier for us to travel with Woob than for them to travel with Baby J.  Email is such a dodgy way to communicate for us, though, because they aren’t online in their home, and have to log on when they can elsewhere.  I miss her.  Woob is starting to talk about her.  If I say something about N, he’ll add on “And C?  And J?”  He knows they all go together.  We’ve always referred to her as “Mama N.” with him, and now I’m starting to talk about her growing him in her belly and her being his birthmama, hoping he’ll be getting more specific messages about their relationship.

So.  I’m at the point where I could really use a vacation from my vacation, but its not going to happen.  For now I’ll hold tight to the beachy pictures I took, and do some visualization exercises when I get the chance.  Hoping it’ll hold me over till the next time.




Filed under adoption, birthparents, infertility, adoption, open adoption, things that make me smile

2 responses to “We’re Home–With a Vengeance

  1. Glad the trip went well, over all 🙂 I know what you mean about needing a vacation from vacation! Sounds like a little peer pressure is a positive thing at the new place–glad it’s going well 🙂

  2. emily

    yeah.. you totally need another vacation! great that you had fun in between the drama and sickness!
    the new daycare sounds amazing!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s