Lots of talk is going around about what it means to be a ‘real mom’ (see the meme) , so I thought I’d chime in with my two cents on the matter.
The way I see it, what makes a woman a real mom is what lies in her heart. A real mom’s heart:
- Feels joy at the presence or sight of her child
- Feels pain when her child is in pain
- Feels hopeful for the future in all that her child can possibly be
- Breaks when her child’s heart breaks
- Sings with pride with each new accomplishment her child makes
- Worries about her child when she can’t be nearby
- Strikes out at those who try to hurt her child
- Laughs when her child laughs
- Finds peace when her children are safe
- Allows her to do things for her child she’d never do for anyone else
- Loves her child no matter where he or she is
Everyone does their mothering differently. Some are the day to day caretakers and some are the day to day worriers. Others are fortunate enough to be both, but it is the mother’s heart that makes her “REAL.”
Be well today.